Chitika

May Pages . . .

Miyerkules, Agosto 22, 2012

How far can you drive to support your family?


"Tricycle" from the word "tri" which means three and "cycle" for continuous flow which represents wheels. 


In the Philippines, tricycle is a common transportation vehicle which can carry up to a dozen people in one ride, it depends on how your engine can cope to this. Every tricycle driver in the Philippines must be a TODA (Tricycle Operator and Drivers Association) member and some government permits to operate.

My father is a tricycle driver, everyday he ride passengers and transport them to their destination with an amount of fare for each succeeding kilometer. I adore my father for his dedication in his living for the benefit of our family. I, myself experienced how to be a tricycle operator. For other people, it's easy to for them to say that drivers only waits for passengers to aboard at their vehicle and transport them to their desired destination, it's easy to say but as what I've experienced, It is a stressful job. Everyday, you fight with pollution, stress from the environment, noise and smoke that came from other vehicles, irritated people, and even boredom. Dealing with it everyday isn't an easy task, you must have patience and perseverance to overcome such as this hazards that's why I even understand more why my father is always hot headed when he came home every night. 

One day, he came home with a fever. We thought it is just a simple fever that will past only for a few days, but something happened that catch our attention. One midnight, I hear him chilling in cold covered with bedding. My mother then comfort him, after a few minutes, he stopped then I came again to my sleep. After few days, I suspected him to have a dengue fever which makes me nervous about the situation. I talked to my mother to take him for a check-up with the doctor and we found out that he had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), to my comfort, I thank God for it is not severe. My mother came home and discussed to us about our financial situation and what are the consequences that can happen to pay for our father's bill at the hospital. At that moment, memories flashed back to me with regrets that we even don't have enough money to cope with situations like this. Questions came into my mind "how long can my father stand with this kind ofjob?", Although I can drive and substitute to him, I still think of my plans and goal for my life. I'm not rejecting such call but my time and opportunity can't be repeated, wasted opportunities is still wasted. This kind of thoughts play in my mind.

Owning a tricycle is a comfort for every family that they can at least survive for their daily needs, but until when? How long can you drive? 50's, 60's or 70's? I know some drivers who are at their 60's still drive a tricycle but not fit anymore to do such things as these. So can you think now of your plan and goals in life?, driving is also a profession but not subjected for promotion. Think of your future as I, learned in this story.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento